10 Sports to Try in Vancouver this Summer
Let’s be honest: Vancouver in the summer is one of the best places to be in Canada. And what better way to enjoy the sun than getting active and playing sports with your friends. If you’re ready to trade the office for the outdoors, here are 10 sports that you can try in Vancouver this summer:
- Beach volleyball. From Spanish Banks to Kits Beach to English Bay, there are few better places to be on a summer’s afternoon than at the beach playing volleyball with your pals. Vancouver has various leagues and organizations offering opportunities to play at a recreational or competitive level. For starters, check out the City of Vancouver, Volleyball BC or Kits Beach Volleyball Association.
- Tennis. Meet your friends for a match at one of the 180 courts operated by the City of Vancouver, almost all of which are free to use. Alternatively, you can join one of Vancouver’s many tennis clubs – Tennis BC is a good resource for finding a club near you.
- Soccer. The beautiful game is a summertime favourite for kids and adults alike. Check out BC Soccer for info about local leagues or visit the City of Vancouver website to search for outdoor soccer fields.
- Ultimate. Lace up your cleats and pull out your hammer – it’s ultimate season! Whether you’re a beginner looking for some recreational fun or a club player interested in top-level competition, the Vancouver Ultimate League can hook you up.
- Cycling. Road, mountain, BMX, cyclocross – whatever kind of cycling you’re into, Vancouver has opportunities for you to get involved. Track down a club to join on the Cycling BC website or simply put your feet on the pedals and get rolling on your own.
- Lawn bowling. Looking for a slightly more relaxed activity? Why not give lawn bowling a try! There are various clubs scattered throughout the city – the Vancouver & District Bowls Association is a good place to start your search.
- Standup paddle boarding. For a fun way to get out on the water this summer, why not give standup paddle boarding a try. There are various shops and clubs offering equipment rentals if you don’t have a board of your own. Check out the City of Vancouver website for safety guidelines and details on where to go for lessons.
- Running. In a city as beautiful as Vancouver, running is great way to get outdoors and explore your neighbourhood and beyond. Offering 28km of pathways along the water, the Seawall is a popular destination for runners. If you prefer to run with others, why not join one of Vancouver’s numerous formal and informal running groups?
- Cricket. Are you ready for some wickets, leg byes and golden ducks? Cricket may seem mysterious to the uninitiated, but it can be loads fun once you get the hang of the basics. The British Columbia Mainland Cricket League can help introduce you to the sport.
- Sailing. Whether you prefer a lazy cruise around English Bay or racing the wind at top speed, sailing is an excellent way to explore the waters around Vancouver and beyond. Head to BC Sailing for details about clubs, competitions and sailing schools in and around Vancouver.
Whatever you’re into, getting active with sports is one of the best ways to make the most of summertime in Vancouver!